Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Skypo" therapist?

Hi friends, we had 2 days of beautiful weather here is VA. No wonder they say Virginia is for lovers. This weekend was mostly about eating and exercising. Met with some friends for dinner on Sat. The restaurant we went to was jam packed. I started to wonder about how so many people (including us) are willing to spend that much money on a meal when there are so many cheaper options. It must be about just getting a break  from the routine and enjoying some good food with great company. At least that's how I see it. Somehow this combination makes the food more tastier. I have developed some itchy boils on my right elbow since I have started using the lotion from body works. I must be allergic to it. Loved the smell on me tough. It lasted the whole 8 hrs. that I was at work.
************************************************************************
A psychiatrist asks a lot of expensive questions your wife asks for nothing.  ~Joey Adams
 
I knew of websites for finding a recipe, finding clothes, even finding partners. But finding a psychotherapist? Unbelievable how technology has made people drift further away from people. I read an article today regarding people in urban areas in India using video and Internet to chat with their psychotherapists. I was so intrigued by this, as I realised that people have become so busy these days to even have to go physically to an important appointment. Can the psychotherapist actually read the mind of the person on the other side of the camera on the Skype video chat? How is he going to prescribe medicines based simply on the conversation he had on the net? How safe is such a conversation? Is it really private now? I can see the convenience of this type of arrangement. The patient can sit comfortably in his room and discuss the problems with the therapist without having to waste time and money to get to the therapist's location. Especially for handicapped people, this is a boon. In the example that the article provided, the particular patient was dealing with an ex - relationship issue and found this on line service to be very useful to get over the situation. However, I have my reservations. How do you know that the therapist is not a fraud? It is a risk that if one is willing to take, might be fruitful. The article went on to say that therapy is becoming very popular these days with lot of urban Indians and also has international clients. Wow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment