Sunday, April 08, 2012

Priorities, priorities, priorities

Vanakkam friends. Since I enjoy listening to music so much, I thought of introducing a new format to this blog. The "song of the day" slot. What say? It's tulip season, and the movie Silsila comes to my mind, when I see these beauties by the side of the roads as I am driving. So, today's
Song of the day is: Dekha Ek Khwaab To Yeh Silsile Hue
Door Tak Nigahon Mein Hain Gul Khile Hue

It was a weekend of rotis at my house. My gujrati friend had told me that left over dal can be used to make soft rotis. Since, Shekar was coming home after a long business trip, I decided to try making these dal rotis. It turned out alright. Shekar will eat anything that remotely looks like a roti. That's how much he loves them. The kids,- now that's another story. They did try it. Let's leave it at that. Gorgeous weather her in VA folks. I really wish we could have been at the beach. Oh, yeah and for those of you wondering about my closet, remains untouched.:(.
***************************************************************************
In an era where "busy" is the word that everyone is using and "rush" is what we are told to do, everytime we attempt to start something, it is important to keep our priorities straight or risk the chance of going insane. So, then what are the top prioroties in life? I think it depends on which stage of life you are currently in. For me my top 3 priorities as it stands today are:

1. Health - Mid life brings both mental and physical fitness challenges. Someone correctly said that 'health is wealth". Whenever possible,I try to get 30 minutes of cardio exercise. In this modern day lifestyle, occasional forms of exerting physical energy is very important. It keeps my mind sharper and happier. I wish I could develop the habit of reading too for mental stimulation(working on it).

2. Relationships - “A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.” – Unknown
Oh my gosh! there is so much truth to this. If I can count at least 2 friends (apart from my family) who fall in this category in my life today, I will consider me lucky and touch wood, I think I have them. I really hope this stays forever! (I also know that nothing is forever). For me, it is important to be silly and laugh out loud. It keeps me happy and content. I have also learnt not to spend too much time on people who don't have time for me, even tough they mean a lot to me. At some point I have to let go. Its best for both parties.

3. Career and Purpose - In India, during my times, children were given only 2 choices, by parents, for their career choice. Doctors or Engineers. They were not wrong, as no other fields of study were as lucrative. But today, “you are what you do.” and one can afford to choose what career paths to pursue. I think choosing a career that you enjoy going to work everyday, must be a priority. I know this is not easy. It took me several years to find out what exactly I wanted to do.

All said and done, there are many other ingredients that influence a state of happiness. But if one is aware and concious of choices, it might be a smoother ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment