Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Virtual Friends - Life today!


Hello blog friends!!! How many friends do you "really" have? You say 20? 40?100? Well, I have none! Surprised?  Let me explain. I have at least 200 "so called friends". But when it comes to friends who will be there for me through thick and thin, it boils down to zero! You know, living in the United States I have learnt that it's not worth making efforts to put time into building a friendship. Specially if you are married with children. Everyone has their own schedule, with kids activities,work, hobbies, etc. and trying to coordinate events together is a nightmare. Therefore, people like me have now turned to digital social networking. Thanks to Facebook, Blogs, Twitter, Myspace etc., it's easy to connect with people from the comforts of one's home. It is this age of great digital connections, we increasingly find ourselves clinging to illusions of intimacy, adrift in a sea of anonymity. The support is instant and unconditional.  This reinforces the fact that you don't have to necessarily meet someone face-to-face in order to form a true and lasting bond. Many deep friendships are made online. They never have seen each other except for photos or on webcam.  These lasting relationships withstand time and distance. It happens everyday. It has happened to me. Have you experienced this? Has anyone online changed your life ?

2 comments:

  1. Vry true..I have made a lotta online friends in the recent past...a few from my home city..and a lot frm other cities and a few frm other parts of the world...and since these were frm a genuine women based social netwrkg site,there wasnt an iota of doubt abt their genuinity.. we all a share a common bond- being a "mom".
    BUT, our childhood friends, the ones who have been with us...who have seen us grow...are the ones for life !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world has become so small. I am loving it!! - Maya

    ReplyDelete