Sunday, May 08, 2011

What is in a name?

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

It was the happiest moment of my life! My first son was born on January 27th, 1997. Time came to name him. I was so lost. We wanted a name that was short, unique, easy to pronounce, had good meaning and  was modern all at the same time. We had a list of names that took us months (9 to be precise he he) to prepare. Yet, we could not decide on that ONE name for this cutest little bundle of joy that was now staring at me with those innocent eyes, as if telling me "you better not screw this up for me". At that time my parents were with me to help me with post delivery recovery. My Dad then narrated the above mentioned quote by Shakespeare to me. It made complete sense to me then. So we named my son "Sanil" means "gifted" a name given to him by his Grandma. Well, luckily as he grew up, we realized that he liked his name too! But many times I have seen that people do not really like the name given to them by their parents. It either makes or breaks a person. This was captured very clearly in the movie "The Namesake". I have noticed that people with modern names tend to get noticed more. For example a person with a modern name like Samaira is more likeable than a traditional name like Padmalatha. How many times have we seen Indian movie starts have a different screen name than their real name? There is a reason for that. Popularity with the audience. Now people changing their names based on numerology for "luck" is a whole different ball game. All I am saying is the next time you want to name someone think twice! I LOVE my name. Do you like your's? Please let me know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment