Monday, February 18, 2013

Kole Basava

Hi friends, Let me start with the Song of the day. I haven't watched filmfare awards yet. Did the movie Burfi deserve an award? In my opinion "No"! It was a dark story, narrated at a boring snail pace, with some over acting by Ranbir and PC. Nevertheless, I like the song below, from the movie. It's the liveliest part of the movie.

And the over rated Vidya Balan did not deserve to win for Kahaani. If walking with a fake stomach, wandering in the streets of Kolkata, looking for a dead husband is called acting, then I have my own doubts regarding the caliber of the deciding committee members. If anybody deserved an award, it was our very own Sallu Bhai. He was entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. Total paisa vasool! I did it again folks! When I was driving to work this morning, I overshot my destination and had to take a U turn to get back. There is so much road construction going on locally, it's hard to understand where the road starts and where it ends. I am not complaining, I am just saying this because, this is the third time it has happened to me in the past 2 weeks. Otherwise, had a fantastic weekend! We met with some friends on Sat. to celebrate a belated V-day. Had a good chat. On Sunday, we had a ladies night out. We went to watch this movie called Special 26. We picked this movie for the lack of anything better. So, I ahd no expectations. But it turned out to be a fantabulous movie. Superlative acting by Anupam Kher, Manoj Vajpai and in a  small role, my fav., Jimmy Shergil. I feel Jimmy is an under rated actor. I liked him as Zaheer in Munna Bhai MBBS too. A very good actor. We then had some yummy desi khana and came back home, with so many great ideas for more ladies night outs. It's always nice to be around like minded people.
_________________________________________________________________
In India, people have novel ways of begging for money. Nothing wrong with that. I am thankful, that I was born in a middle calss family. By virtue of my birth, I am what I am today. I must have done something good in my past life. Anyway, the unlucky ones have to look for differents ways to make ends meet. On my visit to my parents house, a man came with his well adorned bull with his multi-coloured embellishments, in front of my Dad's house and started palying a wind instrument.
They are nomads who go from house to house blessing people in exchange for clothes or food.
The master demonstrates a trick. He asks questions to the kole basava and it nods it head to answer yes or no. Kole Basava has also become a synonym for a person who nods his head for everything in acceptance. hehe. See below for pictures. 




The jewlery  is striking isn't it? And look at the colors, so vibrant! Unfortunately, I could not video tape the event. For thsoe who are interested, just type "Kole Basava" on You Tube and you can watch some videos there. Shub Ratri folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment