Monday, July 23, 2012

The goodness of fruits

Hello world! Weekend was busy! I know, I always write about my weekend as if life is just about those two days. But it is! Here in the US, Monday through Friday people work hard and postpone all the fun activities till the weekend. That's the format people like to follow here. We have adapted to this routine too! So, friends now you know why I write about my weekend so much. Watched "Bol Bachchan" on Friday. It was one those movies, where you leave your brain at home. Attended the monthly "Bhajan" get together on Saturday. The Mango custard they served was amazing!
So, Rajesh Khanna is no more. You know you are growing old when film icons you adore are bidding adieu. There are so many good songs that were picturized on RK aka Kaka - like, Chingaari koi Bhadke, Jai, jai shiva shankar, Chala Jaata hoon kisi ke dhun mein (my fav.!), etc. But today's Song of the day is

Zindagi ek safar hai suhana
Yahan kal kya ho kisne jaana
Arey o leiyo leiyo, oleiyo leiyo
Oleiyo leiyo, oleiyo leiyo

Below are some meaningful lyrics. I am highlighting it because, I think it's so true and everyone should follow this, because life is precious and very short.

Maut aani hai ayegi ik din
Jaan jaani hai jayegi ik din
Aisi baaton se kya ghabrana
Yahan kal kya ho kisne jaana

______________________________________________________________________________
Ok, I am sure you have met someone in your life, who has preached to you about how good fruits are for health and it has so many benefits. However, for the life of me, I cannot enjoy fruits. I do not have a favorite fruit. Here, fruits are relatively inexpensive and available in abundance. (they are not as tasty as the ones we get in India tough). Fruit lovers like my husband can't be more thankful. Some of my friends suggested that I make fruit juices and try it that way. I tried watermelon juice over the weekend. See pic. below:

It had a very interesting texture to it. I love fresh fruit juices in India. Love grape juice and Musambi juice. I have never tasted anything like that here. Fruits are delicious as a healthy snack, for use in cooking, baking, desserts, sauces, drinks, one of the perfect food varieties of the earth. So many different colors to choose from. Nutrition experts recommend that you select different colours of fruit and vegetables red, green, yellow/orange, white or purple - for maximum health benefits. Experts say one has to eat 2 servings of fruit per day. The frozen variety is also good. There is the option of dried fruits and canned ones too. Make sure to choose the ones with less sugar. Another surprising and interesting fact about the fruit is that a fruit is the best fuel for our brain. Keeps your mind sharp! Fruit is 100% Cholesterol free. Fruits are rich in fiber. So, anytime you feel constipated, try eating lot of fruits. It loosens up the stool. Now, this I have experienced myself. Scientific evidence shows that those who eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables have a lower risk of many diseases, including heart disease, stroke and certain cancers. So dear friends, eat fruits, stay healthy. I am going to try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment