Sunday, April 14, 2013

The "like" button on Facebook

Howdy friends? I had another fantastic weekend. The Ugadi function went off very well. Wish I had the video to share. The weather was great this weekend. Really wanted to go to Washington DC to check out the cherry blossoms. For the 12th year in a row, our family has been successful in planning this event and then failing to execute. Sometime ago, I had written about surprises and how I like listening to the radio for this very reason of not knowing which song is going to be played next. Today, I came across this song from the movie Page 3 by chance. I am glad I did. Pleasant surprises are always so nice aren't they? I am going to share the song with all of you as the Song of the day.   

________________________________________________________________________________
There was so much activity on Facebook today. People sharing pictures of how they enjoyed the weekend with their friends and family. Pictures excite me. I love the creativity that goes behind those cheerful smiles and poses. Like they say, pictures speak louder than words. So, with this thought in my mind, I set out for my evening walk today. The sun had gone down and I felt a nip in the air. The beautiful cherry blossoms and the determined joggers, created the right atmosphere for an enjoyable stroll.
I was thinking, I had used the "like" button on Facebook quite a lot today, without writing a comment. So, what is it that I am really liking? What is that I am agreeing with by liking people's statuses, be it a statement, question, or a picture? If somebody were to post a status that their grandfather died, is it ok to click on the "like" button, just to agree with them that it indeed is a sad moment? My intention can be misinterpreted. People might think I am happy that the person's grandfather is dead. Not a good thing. I know, I can write a comment, but normally, if I do not know the person very well, then I don't write a comment. So then, is it a good idea for Facebook to introduce a "dislike" button. I would think not. People would abuse that and I am sure Mark Zuckerberg has no intentions of spreading negativity. Another thing that I cannot fathom about the "like" button is that, the post I "like", immediately surfaces to the top of the page, making it visible for everyone. Not every time do I want this information to be public. The new thing now is the "follow" button. I use this to follow celebrities that I like, but this information is also public. I don't think that there are security settings on these buttons. Anyway, inspite of these issues, I still continue using Facebook. Mr. Zuckerberg's addictive product definitely has me sold! Shub Ratri folks! Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I read your blog regularly. Your writing style is awesome,
    keep it up!

    Feel free to visit my blog post ... how Much should i weigh

    ReplyDelete