Sunday, January 19, 2014

Moving Sculpture Camp in Manipal

Namaskar! Narayana, Narayana, Narayana. Sriman Narayana, Narayana.. So blessed to have attended a Satyanarayana Puja this weekend. it was a peaceful evening followed by a lot of catching up with good old friends. Rivals Shahrukh Khan and Salman Khan seem to be making good progress in fixing their once-gone-sour friendship. At the Star Guild Awards 2014 held in Mumbai, the two stars put their differences aside and hugged each other, much to the shutterbugs' delight. From the pictures I saw, it looks like Salman made the first move. Publicity stunt for his upcoming movie "Jai Ho"? Who knows, who cares? It takes a big heart for such a nice gesture, which Salman seems to have. Aamir Khan has also been counting down the release of this movie on Facebook. "Chalo acchi bath hai". All Khans are getting along. Behind the innocent face of Alia Bhatt, here is a dedicated actress and a singer?!! She sang a song in her upcoming movie Highway directed by Imitiaz Ali. I am eagerly looking forward to this movie The promos look interesting. It has been shot in 6 states of North India. I can connect to this, as I recently went on a trip of North India myself. I was closely following the Sunanda Pushkar-Sashi Tharoor-Mehr Tarar. It was noting less than a Bollywood masala movie. Unfortunately, it had a quick, tragic ending to it. Both the ladies involved were gorgeous. I really hope that it was not a murder and there was no conspiracy behind Sunanda's death. May her soul RIP.  Today's Song of the day is a Ghazal sung by one of my favorite singers with a unique, deep, ringing voice full of raw energy and spirit. Richa Sharma - Chap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaike... This was written by Amir Khusro.

______________________________________________________________________________
We all know that skilled labor is so cheap in India. It breaks my heart to see such talented, hard working, creative people, earning so little money. Clearly a case of too many skilled workers than jobs. All we can do is encourage them and help them by buying their products. That's exactly what I did when I visited a moving sculpture camp that had come to Manipal from Chhattisgarh. (If Mohammad can't go to the mountain, bring he mountain to Mohammad).  A very refreshing concept. I also saw people from Rajasthan come to Manipal temporarily to make and sell friendship bracelets. The location of the sculpture camp was behind the lake called "Mannina Palla". We had gone during sunset. Manipal is growing in the right direction. See pics below.
 
Sunset at the lake "mannina palla" where Manipal got it's name from
The Sculpture Camp
Artists carving a sculpture of "Buddha" from a singe stone under a tent
Artists polishing the iron sculptures
 
A pot maker showing us his talent o the wheel and his products

 

 


The building where the sculptures are finally going t be displayed.
 
I will promote Manipal every time I have an opportunity, a I have left part of my soul over there.  Do visit Manipal if you can and share your experience with me. Shub Ratri.

0 comments:

Post a Comment