Wednesday, January 08, 2014

The many uses of a Sari

Hello blog friends! The Polar Vortex has come and gone and we survived. For most of you, it was just about the cold to pass and life would continue as it was. For me, not so much. I am in this restless period of time. Looking for a new job, new friends, new hobbies, basically a new beginning. Last week was a grueling week with back to back interviews. I hope to hear some good news soon. The Song of the day that comes to mind is from the movie Don. Uff! Zennie baby can make any dance sexy, simply by her presence. Love her and her movies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mom, the genius! She is a multitalented lady. An over achiever. She can find a use for any thing that is lying around the house and make it look so good in the process, that you are left dumb founded. Every trip I make to India, I find many such examples. This time, it was a washing machine cover. After I came back to my parents house, from a 3 day trip to Coorg (my next post), I decided to use the washing machine at my parents house, to quickly wash all the dirty clothes from the trip. What I saw on the machine was unbelievable. The washing machine was  beautifully draped by one of my Mom's old Sarees. How interesting! I thought to myself. I carefully pulled it off the machine, not wanting to spoil it's shape. I realized that the sari was not sewed to that shape The pleats were gathered at the center and the rest of the Sari simply hung loose over the machine. (See pic. below). 
 
 
What an economical washing machine cover! It also adds color to the otherwise dull and boring corner, that washing machines usually occupy in Indian homes. I am sure many housewives will benefit from this idea. If only I knew someone who could do some marketing for me. It was a pleasure washing clothes, as my Mom made everything so convenient. The taps and pipes were well within the reach of the machine. The water flow was powerful as it the water was coming from a full tank upstairs. From that day on, my morning routine at my parents, included washing clothes. Now drying the clothes? That was another pleasurable experience altogether. I would dry it out in the open under the hot sun on the clothes line. The clothes would dry in exactly 1 hour. The fragrance that was emitted from the dried clothes, had CLEAN written all over them. So folks, next time you don't know what to do with your favorite old sari, please think "washing machine"! Shub ratri.

0 comments:

Post a Comment