Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Ringa ringaa ringaree

Hello friends! I hope some of you missed me. Had gone home for the holidays. The Mughal architecture, foggy mornings, cold weather, dhabas, adrak chai of North India, the gopurams, temples, hot weather, filter coffee of South India, and above all the pampering by parents, relatives and friends. I captured it all on camera. My favorite companion the Nikon 21X. Had a good first day at work after the break.
************************************************************************



With India's booming economy, it's no surprise that the common man can afford luxuries like mobile phones. From businessmen, to students, to rikshawalas to conductors, they ALL carry mobiles and use them rather obnoxiously. Amidst all the confusion of the traffic, one cannot help but hear all kinds of ring tones that go off simultaneously and contribute to the noise pollution during a rush hour commute. It is surprising to me how one can remain sane by the end of the day. Since, I was a tourist, I had the time and patience to observe the people who talk on the phone. People mostly picked movie songs as their ring tones. Any guesses on the most popular ring tone for 2011? You bet, "Kolaveri Di" it was!  By the end of my trip, I was sick of that song.  I could easily guess a person's age just by listening to his/her ring tone. "Kolaveri di" belonged to students, Hindustani classical was picked by middle aged people, the bollywood item numbers were preferred by masses of age group 15-40 and the sahastranamas were popular with the early morning south Indian commuters ranging from 15-75. Not surprisingly bollywood too lately cashed on the ring tone concept by using it as a signature comedy act in the movie Singham. Everytime this character's (who played the heroine's father) phone rang to the song of "Dinka Chika". Of course the phone rang at the oddest moment, making the scene funny. Public gets influenced by this. Result - nuisance to the ears for people like me, but bliss to the people who use mobiles and enjoy the ring tones on a daily basis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment